#Sheffield160 #theworldsfirst

Sheffield 160: Conor Higginson

12:59 PMGoalChatter

by Aleks V |

2017 marks the 160th anniversary of the world's first football club, Sheffield FC. Sheffield 160 is a bi-weekly series that goes behind the scenes of the historic club through interviews with players and staff.

This week, former Sheffield FC forward, Conor Higginson, recalls his time at the club and talks about his football career in general.

Conor Higginson at Sheffield FC. Photo: sheffieldfc.com

What were your first impressions of Sheffield (the club and city)? Did they change over time?
I had just left full time football a few weeks before Mark Shaw (Manager) and Ian Whitehorn (General Manager) expressed an interest in signing me for Sheffield FC. It was a no-brainer for me, the appeal to be a part of the oldest football club in the world was too great. I couldn't turn it down! I could see there was a setup and structure in place that could really go places. My impression didn't change throughout the season. The team was successful and I was playing well; we came really close that season to gaining promotion and were really unlucky not to. I often look back and think what could have been...

Describe your most memorable game at Sheffield FC.
For me, it would have to be Grantham Town at home. We won 2-0 and I scored, which always helps! They were flying form wise and they fancied themselves before kick off, but we absolutely popped them off the park. They had no answer to us going forward, we were solid at the back and a force going forward that night. The gaffer, Mark Shaw, had drilled into us a style of play that not many teams could deal with at that level, which made most games that season really enjoyable.  

Do you stay in touch with anyone from SFC? Have you been back to visit?
I still stay in touch with a few of the supporters there, they are a great bunch. I have recently played Sheffield FC twice this season for my current club, Spalding United. We have beat them twice and I've actually scored in both games. I got some stick, but it was all good natured!

What has been the biggest challenge you've had to face during your playing career?
Probably the decision to leave Worksop Town after three years. I was captain of the club and had a special relationship with the supporters there. It was like losing a limb leaving that day. I'm not going to go into detail, but sometimes things happen at clubs that you don't agree with, and it makes your job on the playing side difficult. That being said, things are moving in the right direction at the club now, and I still look out for their results every week!

What's a typical day like for you now that you're playing part-time?
I currently work at Center Parcs full time at the moment, as well as juggling my football at Spalding United. It can be tough physically when I'm out most of the week, but that's part and parcel of being a semi-professional. I wouldn't change anything for the world at the moment though, I love it!  

Is there any advice you wish you were given before you began your career?
Not really. It's only a short career, so you haven't got time to dwell on decisions you make. It's happened, you move on. I have always been told to play with a smile on my face no matter what and play every game as if it's my last. You won't go far wrong if you follow that!

Conor Higginson at Spalding United. Photo: Jake Whiteley

Conor Higginson is a former professional footballer who currently plays at Spalding United.

--
Read more on Sheffield 160 here.
Join the conversation on Twitter using hashtag #Sheffield160.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Let me hear - er, see - your thoughts!

eXTReMe Tracker

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *