FC Dynamo Moscow football

Youth Spotlight: Stanislav Cherchesov, Jr.

3:35 PMGoalChatter

Youth Spotlight

GoalChatter's Youth Spotlight series features up-and-coming young talent in the world of football. This week, Aleks talks with 19-year-old Stanislav Cherchesov, Jr., who is currently a goalkeeper at Dynamo Moscow. 
Photo: Stanislav Cherchesov

How did your career in professional football begin? Did you always play as a keeper?
I started playing for a team in Austria when I was 5 years old. I have always been a goalkeeper. Even before training with a team I used to "train" with my dad as a goalkeeper. He used to throw footballs at me while I was wearing his gloves. My professional career started at Amkar, where I signed my first contract.

What's the hardest thing about playing as a goalkeeper as opposed to any other position?
Definitely the pressure that lies on you. In my opinion the goalkeeper carries the most responsibility on the pitch. Also when a goalkeeper makes a mistake everybody will know and say that it was the goalkeeper's fault, because it's easier to see for fans or media. That's why it's very important to be emotionally stable as a goalkeeper. 

What's it like playing in the Russian league? Is there a lot of competition between goalkeepers?
It's very interesting and very different from playing in Austria. The biggest difference for me is that we had to fly to all away games when I was playing at Amkar. Now at Dinamo at least we won't have to fly to the away games in Moscow. Also, I like the system of the youth league in Russia. You start to get used to flying to games and you play at a decent level. It prepares you very nicely for the Premier League. 

What was it like playing at Amkar Perm?
I trained with the first team at Amkar and played for the reserves. I am very grateful to Amkar since they gave me a chance to try myself in Russia. I wish the team all the best for the next season. 

I notice you're no longer listed in Amkar's youth squad. Are you now playing for Dynamo Moscow's reserves, or just training with them?
I signed a contract at Dinamo. I'm training with the first team and will hopefully play for the reserves. 

Photo: Stanislav Cherchesov
Do you feel there's more pressure on you to perform well since your dad was one of the best goalkeepers in Russia? (Editor's note: Stanislav Cherchesov, Sr. is also the manager of Dynamo Moscow.)
Of course there is some additional pressure, but I had that pressure my whole life. I have always been compared to my dad and will always be compared to him. And I don't mind that.

What sort of goalkeeping style do you prefer to play? Do you like to come off the line often (a la Manuel Neuer), or do you have a different approach?
My style... My good qualities are my technique, talking on the field, keeping calm and reading/feeling the game. I wouldn't say that I have a specific style of playing.

If you could switch places with any goalkeeper, past or present, who would it be and why?
I don't have an answer for this question (smiles). 

What teams do you dream of playing for?
Manchester United - I have been a "fan" as long as I can remember. My love for this club started as a 7 or 8-year-old because Beckham played there and until today I'm still a big supporter of this club. But generally speaking I dream of playing in the English Premier League or the German Bundesliga. 

What do you think is the greatest accomplishment a goalkeeper can have in his or her career?
Individually I think winning the Ballon d'Or as a goalkeeper, like Lev Yashin did in 1963, is a huge accomplishment. And of course winning titles with your team and especially with your national team are accomplishments that every goalkeeper/player should dream of. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Let me hear - er, see - your thoughts!

eXTReMe Tracker

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *